Conference Presentation and Presentation Skills Training in a Virtual Stage
Online workshop + individual coaching
- Beginn: 23.11.2020
- Ende: 25.11.2020
- Vortragende(r): Julie Stearns
- Ort: online
- Raum: wherever you are
- Gastgeber: IMPRS for Organismal Biology
- Kontakt: email@example.com
This is an online-course.
Nov 23 and 24, 9:00-16:30: workshop, max no. of participants 10
Nov 25: one-to-one coaching sessions, max no. of participants 6
DESCRIPTION: The online seminar provides participants the opportunity to improve their presentation skills. Constructive feedback from the trainer and group members give the speaker a healthy amount of input while practicing new ideas and techniques to enhance the quality of their speech and overall impact of the talk.
Participants will be required to prepare a 3 to 5-minute overview of their work; the use of slides is optional. This will provide a basis for applying the practical aims of the workshop.
Throughout the two-day workshop, participants will be guided through interactive exercises to improve nonverbal communication, improve the ability to listen and react generously, and to integrate focusing techniques, which empower the speaker. Attention will also be given to structural and language aspects to improve clarity and flow of the talk.
CONTENTS IN BRIEF:
• Dealing with challenging questions (Q&A sessions)
• Constructive tactics for dealing with nervousness
• Structuring your talk
• Improving body language and vocal quality
• Affirming the strengths and individual style of the speaker
• Engaging the audience in one’s talk
• Effectively introducing yourself
• Voice and body techniques
• Partner work in “break out rooms”
• Language practice and analysis
• Interactive activities with online tools
• Videotaping and feedback sessions
COACHING: Through 90-minute sessions, participants can focus on specific themes, upcoming talks or interviews, and any other challenge or skill in science communication. The online format requires using a laptop or computer with camera and speaker function and a good internet connection. Participants are asked to provide insights into their aims prior to the coaching session via an Email questionnaire.
TAREGT GROUP: Doctoral candidates and postdocs with some presentation experience.
Julie Stearns has been a lecturer in the English Language Department of the University of Duisburg-Essen since 2003, and in 2009 she joined the International Studies Department at Folkwang University of Arts. Julie joined the Impulsplus team of qualified and dynamic trainers in 2010. She has many years of experience teaching university student’s presentation, debate and performance skills.